Thursday 15 August 2013

X-Factor Audience Stunned By Contestants Who Can Sing!


Considering that I am not a fan of TV talent shows like “Britain’s Got Talent” or “The X Factor” it comes as a surprise to me to be able to report that last Sunday I went to Wembley Arena to watch a recording of “The X Factor: Boot Camp” and actually rather enjoyed it.


The day did not start particularly auspiciously. Engineering work on the railway and underground meant that the routes I would normally have chosen were not an option and so it came as a surprise to me that the journey took only seventy five minutes; considerably less than I expected. We (that’s my younger daughter and I, for it is she who is really the X Factor fan) arrived at Wembley at 8.45 and joined the queue, which was perhaps not as long as one might expect. Perhaps the appeal of shows like this is waning. The ticket that had been emailed to me said “Doors open 9 am, doors close 10.30am” so I expected to be in the arena by about eleven o’clock and for recording to start at about mid-day. Here I was wildly optimistic. The queue we were in was to exchange our e-tickets for “proper” ones and when we were given these we were told to go away and come back at 12.30, three hours hence!
The Bobby Moore Statute - Plenty of time to take in the sights.
This was a bit of a surprise, so we wandered off in search of breakfast in the company of a great many Manchester United fans (and a few from Wigan) who were arriving for the FA Community Shield match. Now I like to arrive in good time for things, but these people were at Wembley five hours before kick-off, which even to me seems somewhat excessive. The queue at McDonalds was huge, so we gave that up as a bad job and found a catering wagon where the bacon roll and cup of tea were surprisingly good; unsurprisingly overpriced. Given the limited options available to the randomly gluten intolerant one (me, see my blog “My Intolerance”), I had to risk a normal bread roll for my bacon and am happy to report no unfavourable outcome. With three hours to kill we wandered around the stadium perimeter, had another cup of tea and eventually twelve-thirty arrived.



Unsurprisingly, even after taking our seats by one o’clock, it was a further hour before proceedings began and the judges, Nicole Scherzinger, Gary Barlow, Sharon Osbourne and Louis Walsh were introduced. Now not being a fan of X Factor, I have no idea how this Boot Camp thing normally works, but apparently this year there is a bit of a departure from the norm, with the contestants who have passed the previous auditions being whittled down to the last six by their mentor in front of the live audience, who have some input in the choice by how much appreciation they show to each performance. Once six acts have been chosen, and there are six uncomfortable looking white chairs at the side of the stage for these lucky contestants, the remaining performers can usurp one of the occupants if the judges, with a little help from the audience if you believe the hype, think they are more worthy of a place. All this creates a little extra drama, a bit more pathos for some, a bit more joy for others.

In his book “Chart Throb”, Ben Elton classified contestants in shows like X Factor as Clingers, Mingers, Blingers and Singers[1]. This being Boot Camp, the wheat had been sorted from the chaff in previous auditions, so the acts we saw were, by and large, pretty good, i.e. “singers.” But it wouldn’t make good television for a talent show to be based on talent alone, and there were glimpses that at least two of the contestants who made it through Boot Camp have enough “history” to fall potentially into the “clingers” category.


By no means was the music to my taste; I’m a man in his middle fifties who likes prog rock for God’s sake, so the type of music on show, with a couple of exceptions, was hardly likely to feature in my CD collection. Nonetheless apart from one or maybe two them, these girls (and the oldest of them was about twenty-one) could really sing, even if they did largely inhabit that style which exaggerates and (to my ear) mangles even quite simple pieces.  Particularly impressive though, was the rendition of the Etta James song, “I’d Rather Go Blind.”  Mind you, they were all better at singing than they were at articulating why they, rather than anyone else, should progress to the next stage of the competition. They all came out with the same banal reasons why they should be chosen; “destiny,” “music is my life,” “I deserve this,” were all trotted out. No one had the honesty to say, “I want the fame and fortune and I’m a good enough singer” but perhaps I am being harsh on what was a group of principally teenage girls standing in front of four thousand people and being asked to boast. Since this year’s X Factor hasn’t started on TV yet, the audience was asked not to reveal the names of the successful Boot Camp contestants on Twitter or Facebook, or the like: no great hardship for me since I can’t remember any of their names.

If the contestant’s comments were trite, then the judge’s remarks were even more predictable. “You really nailed it,” and “You owned that song” were uttered with tedious regularity, even when it wasn’t strictly true. Sharon Osbourne called everyone “missus” (obviously not good with names), Louis Walsh was surprisingly meek and Gary Barlow was kind and generally helpful with his comments. Probably because it was her group of contestants, Nicole Scherzinger rather over-egged the pudding, extracting every ounce of emotion from her deliberations over which contestant to save, which one to send home, but hey this is television so what should I have expected?

What I possibly didn’t expect though, and was pleasantly surprised by, was that the observations from the judges were uniformly kind. Even where a performance wasn’t quite up to scratch the criticism was constructive; no one went away in tears because of the harshness of the comments, even if those who were sent away were probably sobbing gently as they left the stage.

So, did my Sunday at Wembley convert me into an X Factor fan? Well, no actually not quite, but it was fun for an afternoon and I suppose that I may just take a peek at this year’s series, just to see how the contestants I saw get on, you understand.






[1] Clingers - the 'needy' ones with a tear-jerking back-story

Mingers - those uttterly desperate, there to be made fun of

Blingers - those convinced of their own greatness - of 'Destiny'

Singers - those able to perform, but really need to be CMBs too in order to get through to the show itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Wrong Type of Football

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola’s rant after his team’s FA Cup Semi-Final win over Chelsea about how unfair it was that his squad of 2...