Thursday 22 August 2013

"Send Three and Fourpence..."

A few years ago I read Deaf Sentence by David Lodge, a comic novel in which the central character, Desmond Bates, suffers from high frequency deafness. It struck a chord with me because the symptoms that the Bates character suffers (as does the author himself) are familiar to me.



High frequency deafness can be described as “consonant deafness.” It is exacerbated in noisy environments and sufferers have particular difficulty in hearing women and children, whose voices tend to be higher pitched than men’s. My experience is that the problem still exists when it is a man speaking; environment is the key factor, certain environments exacerbate the problem. These are most commonly establishments where the floors are wooden or concrete rather than carpeted; where the walls are bare stone or glass rather than wallpapered; where the furniture is metallic rather than upholstered. The level of ambient noise is also a factor. Obviously loud music is a problem, but even with no music at all the general hubbub of conversation, reverberating off glass walls, stone floors and metal furniture creates a severe obstacle to me understanding what anyone is saying.

To give you an example of how conversation can seem to those suffering high frequency deafness, imagine a sentence with all the vowels removed, say “T_m_rr_w    _s     g_ _ ng   t_   b_   m_stly   s_nny”[1] and you can decipher it with little effort. Now imagine all the consonants removed instead. The same sentence becomes “_o_ _ o_  i_  _oi_ _  _o  _e  _o _ _ _ _  _u_ _ _” which I defy you to translate into anything meaningful. When spoken, a sentence where the listener cannot hear the consonants becomes just a jumble of sounds.

Perhaps I should invest in one of these?


For those who suffer high frequency, or consonant deafness, a common complaint is “I can hear the words, I just can’t understand them.” I know this feeling well. There I am, listening intently to what someone is saying and all of a sudden they appear to have started to talk gibberish. The reason for this is that the words my ears are hearing have become muddled; my brain decides upon the only logical words they must have used and I am left wondering why the speaker would possibly want to take an elephant for a walk to the park when in actual fact they have just told me that their eldest child has gained a place at university.

David Lodge has said of his deafness that “it's a comic infirmity as opposed to blindness which is a tragic infirmity" and it is certainly true that while no one would ever make jokes about someone’s blindness, a person’s deafness, whether it is acute or minor, is often seen as fair game for humour, and yes, I have done it myself. Most of us will be familiar with the probably apocryphal story of the military message which, having passed through a number of radio relays, became transmogrified from “Send reinforcements, we’re going to advance,” into “Send three and fourpence, we’re going to a dance.” Well, imagine the passage of one person’s remark to the brain of the listener in a similar sense, i.e. passing through a number of relay stations, and it is easy to see how the message becomes garbled.

Mishearing what another person is saying can lead to misunderstandings of a comic or more serious nature, particularly if the hearer responds to what they thought they heard with an entirely inappropriate remark or answer that deeply offends the other person. This type of thing is frequently used as a comic device and will often crop up in a sketch in which a man ends up having his face slapped by a woman; a similar situation in real-life might have much more dire consequences!

I have been in situations where I have answered what I thought was said rather than what was actually said and only realise that my answer or comment makes no sense in the context of the conversation when the other party makes a face that instantly conveys their puzzlement. Often at this point they will depart to seek conversation with someone who can understand what they are saying.

Because high frequency hearing loss makes it hard for sufferers to hear and understand, and because some environments exaggerate the problem, it is easy and common for sufferers to give up, I know I have. I have often been at social gatherings where, no matter how hard I try, I do not understand more than about ten percent of what is being said to me. The effort of struggling to understand what is being said is tiring, frustrating and ultimately can lead to sufferers withdrawing from such situations, standing forlornly on the fringes of groups of happily chatting people. In many cases people decide not to bother going to these events in the first place because they know exactly what the experience will be.

I can recall many an evening that has started out as a potentially enjoyable social gathering descending into frustration as it progresses and the noise level increases, and with it difficulty in understanding conversations. However, even away from social situations, in the relative peace of my own home, I often have difficulty in hearing what people are saying. Or more accurately in understanding what they are saying. Now the sceptics among you may say that this is because I am not paying attention and sometimes that may be true, but even when I am paying attention I may simply not comprehend the words being used; by the time they get to my brain they have become altered in meaning at best and become nonsense at worst, hence misunderstandings occur.

There are a few techniques that speakers can use to help the consonant deafness sufferer. I find it much easier to understand what is being said if I can see the speaker’s lips moving.
If I say I didn’t understand or didn’t hear clearly, it can be useful if the speaker rephrases rather than simply repeats what they originally said. Perhaps most usefully and most crucially, I find it much easier to understand what is being said if the topic is introduced and then the critical question is asked, or the important statement is made.

For example, I may be all at sea with a question like “What time is the show?” which I am just as likely to hear as “Is it going to snow?”  even though it might be the height of summer and being no prospect of snow, but if someone were to say, “That show we are going to on Saturday; what time does it start?” there is much more likelihood of me getting to grips with what I am being asked. If I am taken by surprise by the question my mind jumps to the first conclusion it reaches about what has been said (and invariably this is wrong), resulting in a frustrating miscommunication.

David Lodge may have used high frequency deafness to comic effect in his book, but sufferers will often be at a loss to see the funny side of the problem in real life; if you meet someone who is afflicted in this way please try to be sympathetic, it really is a most aggravating condition.



[1]“ Tomorrow is going to be mostly sunny” in case you could not work it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Wrong Type of Football

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola’s rant after his team’s FA Cup Semi-Final win over Chelsea about how unfair it was that his squad of 2...