Thursday 2 March 2017

A Midland Odyssey - Part Ten - The Diploma

When I joined Midland Bank in 1976 inflation was running at 16.5%, and even before I started work I got a double-digit pay increase, and I also received an increase - albeit a more modest one - for passing my A-levels. Having A-levels also made me eligible for Day Release to study for my Institute of Bankers (IOB) exams, and as it was often said that with an IOB qualification one's promotion prospects would be improved, I decided to sign up for the course. Except that my A-levels meant that I was exempt from part of the first stage and would have to take a Conversion Course instead and the only local college offering it - Redbridge College - ran it on Fridays, and the branch accountant was not willing to let me be absent every Friday. Instead I ended up at North East London Polytechnic in Barking taking a Higher National Certificate in Business Studies (HNC), which I was assured would be accepted by the IOB as equivalent to the Conversion Course.



North East London Polytechnic in Barking as was: it has subsequently been converted to housing.


I passed the HNC but did not pursue the IOB exams; by the time I was twenty I felt I had had enough of studying and resented the Wednesday evening classes and having to miss nights out to do homework, so I dropped out.

Fast forward to 2004 and I learned that HSBC ran - in conjunction with the IFS School of Finance[1] - a course which led to a Diploma in Business Analysis and Operations (DipBAO) and since my job title was Business Analyst, it seemed an appropriate course to study. The other members of my small team also expressed an interest, but in the end it was only me that signed up. And I did so not because I thought that gaining this qualification would enhance my career prospects - at the age of 46 and comfortable in my role I wasn't really looking for a drastic step up the ladder - but because I thought it would be interesting and, after nearly thirty years after undertaking any academic study, I wanted to know if I still had the skills to learn a subject and pass exams.



The course was split into four modules: Managing People In Organisations, Managing Information, Business Analysis, and Project Management. The first two elements comprised distance learning, and to pass required completing two assignments and taking a formal exam. The second two elements required taking HSBC courses in the subjects and then producing an assignment.


The course textbook and other resources for Managing People In Organisations arrived in the post, and one Saturday afternoon in the summer of 2004 I sat down and started work. Other books were purchased - second hand through Amazon - and I quickly realised that the amount of commitment required was not insignificant. And when the football season started, Saturday afternoons were not a practical time for study, so learning became a weekday evening pursuit - not easy after a full day at work and having spent the early evening cooking and doing other chores. By the time it came to start revising for the exam - the first I had taken in three decades - it became obvious that I could either get a full night's sleep or study, but not both. I would start revising at about ten o'clock and go on till two or three the next morning, fretting all the time that nothing seemed to be going in. What I found remarkable was that while I was getting my few hours sleep, my mind would somehow order my thoughts and lo and behold, come morning there was more that I could recall than I would have thought possible when I went to bed. Of equal concern as whether or not I could retrieve the necessary information in the exam room, however was, could I write for three hours without getting writer's cramp? Nowadays I rarely use a pen to write anything longer than a shopping list, and even twelve years ago, I was using a keyboard much more than a biro, so part of my exam practice was simply sitting down and writing for long periods; it is harder than you imagine.

As it happens, the exam seemed to go quite well. Our course tutor - whom we only actually met twice - was on the ball in predicting which areas of the syllabus would be likely to come up (more so than the tutor for the second module, Managing Information, whose advise I by and large ignored, and was glad I did) but even so it was with some trepidation that I logged on to the IFS website some time later to find out my result. To my surprise and delight, I had not only passed, by I was awarded a Distinction. It was my best result, as although I passed each of the other modules, it was not with such good scores. In part I would put that down to my having no experience of managing people, and I was therefore able to treat the subject as a purely academic exercise, whereas with the others - Business Analysis in particular - I had preconceptions and my own ideas that did not necessarily fit with the course objectives.

The Business Analysis and Project Management courses took place at the bank's offices in Hoyle Street, Sheffield and their training centre at Bricket Wood in Hertfordshire (neither of which the bank occupies any longer). The courses were hard work - at Bricket Wood we had to work evenings and one weekend - but the effort paid off, because I passed.

HSBC's former offices in Hoyle Street, Sheffield. Photo: Terry Robinson


My HSBC colleagues who also received their diplomas were:
Heather Batson, Fakhra Brisby, Andy Clark, Martin Cleary, Maria Coulson, Emma Frith,
Michael Griffin,  Jo Haskins, Owen Hatton, Glynn Neale, Simon Mitchell, Ross Neads
Julie Parsons, Cathy Patton, Jenny Penn, Jeremy Ransom, Paul Richardson

In the picture above are (left to right) Jenny Penn, Fakhra Brisby and Mike Griffin. Unfortunately the name of my colleague standing immediately to my left escapes me.



And then I had to rent a gown and mortar board (not cheap!)so that on  Friday 16th March 2007, I could go to Southwark Cathedral and receive my diploma - not the real thing, that arrived some months later after some issue with printing the hologram on the actual certificate - enabling me to add the letters DipBAO, after my name. Technically, I can't use the letters since I am no longer a member of the IFS (I declined their offer to pay an annual membership fee of over £100 for that right, plus their magazine).



My qualification did not translate into any career advancement,  although the bank did give me a decent bonus that year (not anywhere near monstrous sums that the press love to pillory the profession for, of course). More than anything else after I finished my studies, I was left with a gratifying sense of achievement, and I would say to anyone who later in life and many years after they finished their years of formal study, considers studying for any sort of qualification, go for it - the lack of sleep is worth it.





[1] Formerly the Chartered Institute of Bankers (CIB) and subsequently IFS) IFS is/was the Institute of Financial Services.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Wrong Type of Football

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola’s rant after his team’s FA Cup Semi-Final win over Chelsea about how unfair it was that his squad of 2...