Thursday 26 November 2015

The Interview

In last week's blog I mentioned that I am not good at interviews, in fact in the whole of my life I was only successful at one interview, and that was the one that got me my first job in 1976. Subsequent interviews at which I failed resulted in one of three outcomes: Someone else got the job (I can cope with that); The Interviewer got the job (mildly humiliating); No one got the job (very humiliating). On occasion I was on the other side of the desk, interviewing people, but thankfully not alone; had I been I doubt I would have been comfortable.

Interviews are notoriously stressful and some candidates, like me, are not good at talking about themselves, well not in a way that sells themselves anyway: there's a very British trait that we don't like to boast which conflicts with the object of the interview. Some interviews require candidates to perform some sort of test, in fact I was involved in interviews where we were looking for a Workflow Architect (part Business Analyst, part Software Programmer) where we asked applicants to design a workflow diagram (not for anything too complex, it was for making a cup of tea). These tests have always struck me as a lot more useful than questioning alone.

But these days it seems that interviewers have gone beyond the "What are your strengths?" type of question and added some that, at first sight at least, seem surreal, irrelevant and possibly downright unanswerable. Out of idle curiosity, I took a look at the top ten toughest questions asked in the UK [1] to see if they as pointless as they seem at first sight, and the answer is that by and large they make some sense, even if the answer is to some extent irrelevant.

1. "Can you calculate how many tennis balls are used during the course of Wimbledon?”
No, is the short answer, not unless you know the number of matches played in the tournament, but even then you'd need to know how many games within those matches, because the balls are changed every nine games, unless of course the answer required is how many are supplied by Slazenger, which is not necessarily the number used. I'd say that by demonstrating your understanding of the question you would at least show the interviewer that you had the ability to think through the problem. Alternatively you could admit you don't know, but know how to find out, an equally important skill in my book. After all, I couldn't say I knew everything about my job, but what I didn't know I knew how to find out. The actual answer to this question is 52,000 by the way.




2. “Estimate the total number of cars in the UK.”
Unless your previous job was with the DVLA or the Office of National Statistics, this is not a fact you will have at your fingertips, but again you could demonstrate a logical mind by estimating (because that's what you are asked to do), that in a population of 60 million about half the population will be too young, too old or not bothered to drive, leaving 30 million people who are likely to drive, and let's assume one car per person for the sake of argument; it is an estimate after all. And the correct answer? 34.5 million.

3. “How many calories are in a grocery store?”
You can take this question literally, in which case the answer is none because a grocery store will comprise steel, wood, glass, concrete and other building materials that are not known for their calorific content, or you could ask, how big is this grocery store as a starting point, then dissemble a bit by comparing the little corner shop with the cavernous out of town supermarket, and what sort of grocery store are they talking about anyway and the state of the nation's diet. The number of calories in the food being sold within the supermarket will also vary due to the season (at Christmas it seems food of a much higher calorie content is on offer), the time and day of the week, whether a delivery has recently been received and how much stock has been sold.

4. “How would you sell a fridge to an Eskimo?”
As soon as the interviewer said Eskimo, you immediately thought of someone swaddled in seal fur, living in a house built of ice, and how could you sell a fridge to someone like that? Except Eskimos no more live in ice houses (igloo, by the way is Inuit for a building people live in, so they all live in igloos, whether they are ice houses or brick built) than I do. So the answer is, in exactly the same way you sell a fridge to anyone else. Oh, and some people prefer Inuit to Eskimo as they consider the latter term non-PC.

5. “What would you take to a lonely island with you and why?”
Note, lonely, not desert, not deserted. So my lonely island would be Bandos in The Maldives, and I'd take my family, my swimwear and my Kindle, because that's what I take on holiday.

6. “Is Batman a superhero?"
Yes. Superhero is not the same as having super powers in my view, so the fact that Batman can't fly or turn green, or burst into flames does not prevent him being a super hero, because he is undoubtedly heroic and super has any number of synonyms, including great, magnificent, sensational, terrific and cool, and I think he fits the bill there, don't you?




7. "You have 17 red and 17 blue balls, and you remove two at a time. If the two are the same colour, add in one extra blue ball. If they are different colours, add in an extra red ball. What colour is the final ball removed?”
Let us assume that the first two balls you remove are red. You are now required to add a further blue ball, but since you only have 17 blue balls to start with, how can you? Nowhere in the question does it say that you have a reserve of red and blue balls to add to the balls you begin with. Also, since you remove two balls at a time, there cannot be a final, single ball removed. There can of course, be a final ball remaining, but that is not the same thing. The question is inherently flawed.


8. “What cartoon character would you be and why?”
Think of the most obscure cartoon character you can, Dagwood Bumstead perhaps, or Garth, or The Escapist. If the interviewer has not heard of them, so much the better. This sort of question is surely asked solely so that you can demonstrate the ability to speak coherently. Better yet, make up a character.


Dagwood Bumstead


9. “What is the wildest thing that you have done?”
Naturally, the answer here should be tailored to the job you are applying for. Obviously the position of Club18-30 rep requires a much raunchier answer than that of Archbishop of Canterbury. On this occasion, I think you have to second guess the interviewer!

10. “What was your opinion of the film Blair Witch Project?”
How you answer this depends very much on whether you have seen it or not. I haven't, so I have no opinion on its content, but I have heard of it and have a general idea about it, so at least I could waffle on about how it popularised the "found footage"  type of movie, albeit that it was not originator of the genre.

A lot of these questions anticipate that you, the interviewee, will make assumptions based on preconceptions. In a similar way, when one goes on courses and is given a team activity or exercise, you will be given certain limitations. There will invariably be a limitation that is assumed by the team that was not named; finding and then exploiting that invariably makes the task easier.

The ten questions are there to make candidates  do something that Edward de Bono labelled lateral thinking, but what we now generally call thinking outside the box. When we see a question we make assumptions, invoke our prejudices and preconceptions and answer accordingly, often missing what the question actually wants.

But finally, a question that I think you will find impossible to answer. When does the dfs sale end?





[1] Source: glassdoor.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment

There’s Only One F In Romford and We’re Going To Wemberlee!

At around five o’clock in the afternoon, on Saturday 6 th April, my Fitbit bleeped at me. My heart rate was apparently 131bpm and the devic...