Thursday 5 February 2015

Count Your Murphies

Whether you believe that heredity or environment are more important in determining physical and behavioural traits, we all of us are influenced by our parents, for better and for worse. From my Mother I have inherited the ability to worry endlessly and often needlessly about just about everything, including things over which I have absolutely no influence or control, and an obsession with punctuality.

From my Father I have patently failed to inherit any talent for gardening or DIY, both of which he was very good at, but I have inherited an argumentative streak and a number of sayings and phrases, some of which I have had to Google to understand their provenance. Some appear to have been of Dad's own invention.

Anyone who has been in the armed forces will presumably be familiar with the expression, "Stand by your beds," which I understand  heralded the entry of an inspecting officer into a barrack room. My Dad would normally say this when someone, usually my Mum, entered the room, especially if it was apparent that the person, again usually my Mum, was in a bit of a bate[1]. This has entered the lexicon of Woods family expressions and is now customarily used when our younger daughter starts moving about upstairs preparatory to coming downstairs with a request or to have a bit of a whinge. Val and I use it to put one another on our guard!



More obscure is the expression " Meredith, we're in!" The origin of this is phrase is a 1907 music hall sketch called The Bailiffs performed by Fred Kitchen. I have no idea what the sketch entailed, nor the reason for the line, although I assume it relates to the bailiff in question gaining entry somewhere. Whatever the derivation, my Dad was commonly heard to utter "We're in Meredith!" when something he was attempting was successful, such as removing a stubborn nail from a piece of wood, or on completion of a piece of DIY. I cannot say I have ever heard anyone else utter these words, which I have appropriated myself and use now and again, normally having completed some task that seemed like it could not be completed, like getting Task Manager to work on a PC running Vista. It may be that I am now one of  very select band of people using this expression; if you know anyone else who does, please let me know, otherwise I expect the phrase will cease being used when I eventually shuffle off this mortal coil.

Fred Kitchen
While the two phrases above can be found in various places on the internet, the next one which my Dad used appears to be original and not borrowed from elsewhere (if you know differently, I'd love to know where it comes from), and that is "Count your Murphies." This is not an instruction to go out and calculate the number of Irishman in the vicinity, but as a variation on the expression, "Count your blessings." Somewhere, somehow, in the manner that Cockney rhyming slang transmogrifies words like deaf into Mutton (Mutt and Jeff), perhaps blessings became Murphies, although how I have absolutely no idea.  I suppose it could refer to Murphy's Law, but I'm not sure how. If anyone can enlighten me, I'd be grateful, otherwise I will assume that "Count your Murphies" was an original.

Like most people in this country, my Dad was fond of a cup of tea. This is not something I have inherited so much as assumed as normal behaviour; I am rarely without a cup on the go when I'm at home (I have one with me as I write), and like me my Dad liked his tea strong enough to stand a spoon up in. With monotonous regularity, Dad making a cup of tea would be prefaced by him saying, "I'm making tea...you're not getting any." I find, to my chagrin, that I now do the same, usually when I get up and make the first cup of the day.

A proper cuppa.

Other expressions that received regular airings included dead lumber, as in "I'm in dead lumber" to indicate that he was in trouble, usually with my Mum, or occasionally at work. Like counting one's Murphies, I cannot find this on the internet. Then there was the oft expressed desire, usually on rainy evenings, to refrain from any physical exercise, as in "I think I'll give the jogging a miss tonight." This might have made some sense had he ever gone jogging, but he didn't, not once in all his life (well not just for exercise anyway). It was just an oblique way of referencing the fact that the weather was horrid.



Whenever we watched a TV series, the end of each week's episode would be met with Dad saying, "It wasn't as good as last week." Looking back I'm not sure if he actually meant that or whether it was said in jest or just through habit. Had it been true, the last episode in a season of Alias Smith and Jones, or Star Trek (two series we watched  together), must have been pretty appalling!

Finally we come to an expression that my Dad did not use himself, but got me to use. Picture the scene. It is Sunday morning and Mum is in the kitchen slaving over the roast, Dad is in the lounge reading the paper and he says to me, "Go out and ask your Mum what the holdup is." So off I toddle, (I'm about eight at the time) into the kitchen. "What's the hold up?" I announce (not, "Dad says, what's the holdup" you notice) whereupon Mum glares at me and Dad chuckles behind his paper.

Dad was also wont to make apparently bizarre or daft statements with a completely straight face that would totally disarm other people. For instance we were once in a shop where he was buying tea bags. "These are good, aren't they?" said the shop assistant, making conversation. "Yes," replied Dad, "but isn't it a pain unpicking the stitching to get the tea out?" resulting in a very confused shop girl who wonders if she should explain that that was not the intention of the manufacturers. My poor long suffering Mum said that on many occasions she had to explain to people that Dad wasn't serious when he made similar remarks.

Deconstructing the tea bag.

So there we have it, a few of the aphorisms that my Dad was given to and which I have picked up through years of exposure to them. Doubtless you have some that you have acquired from your parents and which sometimes you wonder why, and possibly how you can stop using them!




[1] For those of you unfamiliar with this, "bate" means in a bad mood or angry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Wrong Type of Football

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola’s rant after his team’s FA Cup Semi-Final win over Chelsea about how unfair it was that his squad of 2...