Thursday 19 September 2013

Lost in a Good Book

Ever since I learned to read I have rarely been without a book on the go. At an early age I was an avid reader of Enid Blyton’s  Famous Five stories; in my early teens I consumed a large proportion of Agatha Christie’s work before moving on to Alistair MacLean and then the somewhat racier James Bond novels of Ian Fleming; well they seemed racy at the time!


The sight of this cover takes me back to when I was a teenager.

 At some point I started to read science fiction; HG Wells, Larry Niven, Christopher Priest and Philip K Dick in particular. Wells’ The War of the Worlds and Dick’s Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said are works that I regularly return to re-read, along with non sci-fi books like Keith Waterhouse’s Billy Liar, and The Diary of a Nobody by George and Weedon Grossmith. When the dice so dictate I return to Luke Rhiehart’s The Dice Man. Periodically I become fixated by a particular genre; I once read nothing but courtroom dramas for a year or so, but eventually gave up as I rather overdosed on them.

On occasions I veer into the weird; Mervyn Peake’s Gormenghast trilogy for instance, which I really must revisit soon, and books like The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters by Gordon Dahlquist, which was probably the first steampunk novel that I read. Steampunk is an interesting genre that seems to have grown hugely in popularity in recent years, although there is a wide divergence in quality and a certain amount of bandwagon jumping on the part of some writers.

At present I am reading (and enjoying immensely), A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon, who is probably better known for The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. Unusually, I am reading the paperback version (which my younger daughter bought some time ago, but has not yet read). I say unusually because nowadays I, like so many other people, read books on the Kindle. When e-readers first came along I was sorely tempted to buy one but prevaricated because although the combination of a new gadget and books was enormously appealing, I felt that the comfort of a physical book and the satisfaction of visiting a bookshop, of choosing a book, buying it and bringing it home, the sense of anticipation and the actually reading of it would outweigh the novelty of the e-reader.

Kindle, probably the most well known and popular of the e-readers.

Then in 2010 when we went on holiday, I dragged half a dozen paperbacks along, which took up a large proportion of my luggage space and took me perilously close to going over the airline’s weight allowance. Val offered to buy me a Kindle for Christmas or my birthday, yet still I vacillated. On the one hand I desired the new technology, but on the other I would miss the visits to bookshops and the joy of holding and reading an actual book. Eventually I succumbed and the next time I went on holiday I took the Kindle, read nine books and did not need to worry about the weight or space that they took up.

As e-readers increase in popularity, this sort of sight will become rarer,


There is a view that the e-reader signals the death knell of the bookshop, but frankly the number of bookshops on the High Street seemed to be contracting anyway and perversely the growth in popularity of the e-reader has in some ways invigorated readership and, by extension, the bookshop; it certainly seems to have energised the public into reading more. Book sellers like Waterstone’s have embraced the e-reader and of necessity changed their business model and sales tactics accordingly, although however much the e-book market grows there will always be demand for physical books for cookbooks, textbooks and the coffee table book. 

The e-readers on the market have benefited readers and writers in many ways. A lot of the classics can be had for nothing or for a few pennies on your e-reader while you would pay the full price for the paperback. A Tale of Two Cities costs £5.75 in paperback on Amazon, yet is free on the Kindle. There are vast numbers of books for less than a pound for the Kindle, many of which are self-published through Amazon’s Kindle Direct Publishing facility. This has enabled many an aspiring writer to enter the market when, in the era before the e-book, they would have struggled to find a publisher. There may be a lot of dross out there but there are also some gems.

Mind you, the dross extends beyond the self-published stuff available, even though it is true that in fiction one man’s meat is another man’s poison. I would suggest that in no other area is this truer than in the classics. There is a lot of snobbery about the classics, and what constitutes a classic anyway? Arbitrarily, having Googled “classic fiction” I ticked off the books that I have read from The Observer’s  list of the best 100 novels of all time[1] and find that I have read only twenty-six of them and some of those I have enjoyed not at all.

For instance The Trial by Franz Kafka is widely regarded as a classic and is highly praised but divides opinion. There are those who regard it as a work of genius; having eventually got round to reading it recently I have some sympathy with the reviewer who said that it is “a tome of existentialist tripe... bleak and pointless.” There are other classics that I sometimes think it is fashionable to like, even though the reader may not have actually enjoyed them, a sort of emperor’s new clothes syndrome[2]. Jack Kerouac’s On The Road for example is very highly respected, but I couldn’t see what all the fuss was about. Anything by Ernest Hemingway falls into a similar category in my view, leaving me completely cold[3]. There again Crotchet Castle by Thomas Love Peacock, published in 1831 and in which a  group of disparate, eccentric characters assemble and basically do no more than have lengthy conversations, is a novel that I thoroughly enjoyed although I’m sure that many people would hate it.

When I studied literature at school I suppose that like many a teenager doing their English “A” level, I became a bit precious and pretentious about books and at one time I considered it almost a sin to leave one unfinished. Another of my foibles was that I was loath to lend (or borrow) a book. Frankly I would rather give a book away (and if necessary, buy another copy) than lend it to someone; borrowing a book was similarly anathema to me[4].  Over the years there have been few books that fall into the unfinished category, but Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury and Smallcreep’s Day by Peter Currell Brown I simply could not bring myself to read to the end. I waded through The Lord of The Rings and wished I hadn’t bothered; now, despite a nagging sense of guilt, I am much more likely to give up on a book I am not enjoying.

There are many ways in which a book can be enjoyable; it can be for the style and wit of the writing, the thrill of the story or the enrichment it can bring to the reader but life is too short to read bad books, although my idea of what constitutes a bad book may not be yours and vice versa; each to their own, vive la difference.

Next up on my reading list.


Nonetheless, whether it is George Orwell, or Philip K Dick; Charles Dickens or Jeffrey Archer, whatever you may favour, there is nothing quite as enjoyable as getting lost in a good book.






[2] How many unfinished copies of Salman Rushie’s The Satanic Verses are there do you suppose?
[3] For which, please read pretentious, over-rated twaddle.
[4] Yes, weird I know. If everyone was like me, lending libraries would do no trade at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Wrong Type of Football

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola’s rant after his team’s FA Cup Semi-Final win over Chelsea about how unfair it was that his squad of 2...